Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Chronicles of Captain Ahab Missing Captain Crunch: Day 5

Today's Itinerary: Utah sunrise, a breeze through Arizona, and sleep in Nevada.

Photobucket

I started out knowing that today was going to be a harder day. Saying goodbye to Kasey for the rest of the trip was going to be really hard. I also knew that I was going to have to negotiate getting out of the small hole that I was parked in. The best part was that when we strolled into the lobby, we saw that someone came in and parked right behind me!!! Shut up! It was a travesty! After a very difficult goodbye, I headed out to the parking lot and stood there for a few moments trying to figure out what I was going to do next...

Photobucket
Wow! Look at all that space for turning around!

So, after about 87 attempts at turning around without hitting anyone or anything, I was pretty much right where I started. Kasey was trying to help from the balcony of the parking garage and she spotted another truck coming down the alleyway. Great! He ends up parking and comes over and asks me what I am doing. I told him that I was trying to get out and he asked me if I had ever driven a trailer before. I responded: "Forward" :-) He said that he would help me and instructed me around. It was actually really smooth with his help. I was around in about five points. As I stopped to thank him for his help, I looked up and saw his nametag which said... brace yourself... Jesus Christ!! I am NOT joking! As I drove away, I called Kasey immediately and almost peed my pants laughing so hard! This guy was not hispanic at all. He was totally white, right down to the blondish red hair... Grandma?! I can't even get over it! It was the best thing ever! Jesus Christ? Really?! It was great! What a way to take the edge off a journey that started so bitter sweet!!!

After calling tons of people telling my crazy story, I really got to it with my drive. I am headed down 15 for the rest of the trip. I didn't know where I was going to stop, but I knew where I was starting, so I went with that.

Photobucket
399 miles! Woah! Just a thought... Vegas is in about 398 miles...

My first stop was going to be somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I already knew that just looking at my surroundings. There wasn't much civilization to be had, but I didn't mind. I actually found a rest stop/gas station that was pretty new looking. It was a perfect stop, too, because there was a huge parking lot in the back where I could take some pictures. It was incredible! I barely have words for it!

Photobucket
The picture really does not justice to the real thing!

Photobucket
As I ran my way into this field to get this picture, at least a thousand grasshoppers just started jumping ALL OVER! They were landing on me and flying over my head and going crazy! But, for the sake of photography, I had to run out to get a second shot...

Photobucket
This is the perfect picture background! The mountains even make my hair look good (meaning that if you are looking at the mountain and not my hair then my hair looks good)!!

Photobucket
Oh yes, my little friend! Much scarier in real life!

Photobucket
God Bless America :-)

The last bit of exciting news about this stop is that the truck got 17 miles to the gallon of gas!! WOOOO! This is the best ever! Considering the fact that a couple tanks ago I got 9 miles to the gallon, this is cause for celebration in my book! Woot woot!

I hopped back on the road and enjoyed a speed limit of 80! Actually, I never went 80, but I thought it was pretty crazy that was the speed limit. I think Kasey would have enjoyed it. As my journey continued I saw one beautiful scene after another. I wish that I had the pixels to really show you what I saw, but these will have to do for now.

Photobucket
Can you imagine if this was what you woke up to every morning? So beautiful!

The next little part of the trip was a short stint through Arizona. I have to tell you it was a completely moving experience! I literally cried twice thinking about my family and sweet James and wishing that they could share this experience with me! God does good work is really all that I can say! Thanks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I finally made my way into the last state before my very new homeland. I had decided along the way that I was going to stop somewhere near Las Vegas. The views continued to be amazing in Neveda and the weather continued to get hotter and hotter and hotter...

Photobucket

Photobucket
I think it was about 108 here...

Photobucket
We topped out at 112!! I was sweating straight through my clothes!

I got myself a nice little room in a great hotel. I found something to eat and now I am relaxing and watching some So You Think You Can Dance. Tomorrow will be a new day and a new location. I can't believe that tomorrow I will be a California girl! :-) I can't wait to see you, Uncle Rick!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I got the brisket because I know that James loves it :-)

Another bit of exciting news is that today is my sister's birthday! WooHoo!! Happy Birthday, Jolyn! Love you bunches! Can't wait to see you!

Sailor, be safe and hurry home. I love you.

always,
Jamie

PS. I posted twice today, so make sure you read both of the new blogs! They are pretty great if I don't say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment