Monday, July 27, 2009

The Chronicles of Captain Ahab and Captain Crunch: Day 3

Today's itinerary: All the way across Nebraska, to Wyoming.

This morning we woke up to a lovely day in Lincoln, Nebraska. We started our morning the way that everyone should, eating a pretty good (and free) breakfast buffet surrounded by some fantastically tacky USA pride decor: flags, fake flowers, eagles, you name it. After we packed up all our goods we stopped across the street, so that I could look over the edge and see more Nebraska.

Photobucket
It really was beautiful!

Photobucket
It's all about my hair looking totally awesome! Hehe. Love my roomie!

Photobucket
I had to get a picture of this place when we stopped for gas! I tried to get Kasey to sit on the gorilla for the picture, but for some reason, she didn't want to! Hm.

The drive across Nebraska was a straight shot, one side to the other right down one road. We have actually only really driven on two main roads, so it has been pretty smooth (short of all the construction).

Photobucket
Seriously Wanita! 297 Miles!!

Photobucket
So, I had to get a picture of this because my sister lived in a city called Kearny (pronounced the same). We have also seen multiple Utica's and Buffalo's. It is funny how there are so many repeat city names!

Nebraska is certainly a city of corn and farming. It is crazy. We went on and on for miles with acres and acres of corn growing. One cool thing that I did see was a rainbow right in one of the sprinklers! We also saw a yellow crop dusting plane, which was really neat. I have never seen anything like that before. Very fun!

After a while, Kasey and I were ready to pull in for lunch and Kasey picked the perfect pull-off: North Platte, NE! We started off in a cute little place called Penny's Diner. It was exactly the kind of place you would want to stop on one of these trips! After that, we visited Fort Cody a free museum dedicated to Buffalo Bill! It was super fun!

Photobucket
Penny's Diner

Photobucket
Gotta love that, right next to the grill. Well, the whole place was right next to the grill, lol.

Photobucket
I had a buffalo burger (in honor of Buffalo Bill). Did you know that buffalo meat tastes just like beef only half the calories and one quarter the fat! Mmmm.

Photobucket
Look at that view for lunch. Perfect!

Photobucket
Of course, the Trading Post :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket
This was a great sign!

After browsing around, we headed back on the road. There wasn't a whole lot going on, but it really was beautiful. While I am exhausted, the drive really is very peaceful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had a really full day, and at the end of it, we finally made it to Wyoming.

Photobucket
It really is God's country. I wish that you could see the size of this ginormous Blessed Mother and the smaller stations of the cross surrounding her! Hysterical. Grandma would have loved this!

Photobucket
Hooray.

The problem is that once we hit Wyoming we got into a huge storm. I was so scared! Because the land is so flat, the wind was insane. I was blowing all over the road. I could feel the trailer hydr-planing, which was not fun at all. I was freaking out and praying to every person that I know is watching over me. Just as I was about to lose my cool... a tumbleweed rolled across the road in front of me! It was almost in slow-motion, totally old-fashioned country western movie-style rolling tumbleweed. I had to just stop and laugh. I even said, out loud, "Was that a tumbleweed?" Needless to say, I took that as a sign to get myself together and get through the storm. And, I did (so did Kasey).

Photobucket
Check out that rear-view picture of what I just got through! Craziness!

Photobucket
So, now I am sitting in front of this Sweet television in the hotel and relaxing! The bed is perfect and I am not even going to start on how awesome the shower was. I think I am mostly going to get some sleep. I am exhausted and tomorrow brings more travels for me and my co-captain.

James Robert, be safe and please hurry home! I love you.

always,
Jamie

2 comments:

  1. i am so incredibly jealous , love you guys , be safe !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love driving through Wyoming!!! It is beautiful!!! Be safe guys!!!

    ReplyDelete