Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Chronicles of Captain Ahab and Captain Crunch: Day 2

Today's itinerary: Wake up in Indiana, travel through the "I" states: Illinois and Iowa, arrive in Nebraska.

Today was actually a longer day than yesterday. Our actual driving time was nine and a half hours. It was a beautiful day today! The weather was perfect and I went for the windows down today and saved on the gas. I was particularly excited this morning because the first song that came on the radio was one of the three songs that I have picked out for James and my first dance!! Must be a good sign!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Really pretty bridge.

We drove through Illinois pretty quickly. It was very pretty. We had a really good start going, so we pushed right through. The countryside was really pretty and the roads weren't too busy. There was a great stretch of road where there were little sunflowers sprouting right on the side of the road! We had some lunch and travelled into the next part of our trip.

Photobucket

Iowa had a few interesting sights to see. For one thing, this state is particularly earth friendly. So friendly, in fact, that the better gas was actually cheaper! This was the first time that I got to get the cheaper gas. It was nice, too, because I was getting good mileage already. The other really cool thing that we saw were fields and fields of wind turbines. They were amazing! I have never seen anything like this in person before, so I was happy to hit a little traffic and get a couple pictures.

Photobucket
Gotta love the world's largest truck stop! 800 parking spaces! Wow :-)

Photobucket
It is hard to see in the picture, but this is my favorite site thus far! It was amazing!

After getting stuck in some traffic, I was feeling a little nervous being so far away from Kasey. We didn't have radio contact or anything, so I just had to look out for her and try to catch up! Once I finally did see her up ahead she was about a mile away and there was no way I was catching her at the pace I was going. So... I decided to just nail it! It was SO fun! I went from 2,000 RPMs straight passed 3,000 and I was rocketing! It was cool! I had a total vision of the trailer going right into the air and flying behind me. Power. I am a whole new woman now :-) I caught up in like ten seconds or less!

Photobucket
You can't pay for something like this! Gorgeous!

Photobucket

Once we got here to Nebraska I was done! It was an exhausting trip! We were going up hill the entire time, so my leg was in major pain with all the extra weight!

Photobucket
I am glad to have a great travel companion!

Kasey and I found that there was a great restaurant in the hotel, so we decided that we would eat in there. It turned out to be delicious and we enjoyed a relaxing meal. Our waiter, Elden, made a few yummy suggestions and pretended that everything was a Nebraska specialty!

Photobucket

Photobucket
One suggestion was actually a specialty and that was the Dorothy Lynch dressing. It was delish!

Photobucket
Kasey got boring Ranch dressing!

Photobucket
They called these Nebraska Hash Browns. They were both yummy and convenient!

Photobucket
My sandwich was amazing!

Photobucket
Kasey's was, too!

Photobucket
This is me, you do not want to get in the middle of this!

I feel world's away already, but I am in love with this adventure! Tomorrow will be another day of new discoveries. I look forward to seeing everything that I can see and getting to another state. Today was our longest day of travel, so I look forward to a shorter and more relaxed drive.

Sweet Sailor, be safe and please hurry home. I have to go sleep! Dream Sweet!

Everyone (except Kasey): I miss you!!

always,
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment