Monday, March 30, 2009

New York City, Center of the Universe...

Hooray! I didn't forget to post this week! I would like to think that since this is only a Wednesday through Monday blog, it will be much shorter than the others, but I doubt it! I did have a great week! Wednesday was a lot of fun. Work and school were pretty much business as usual. I got to run at the gym, but no Zumba or PiYo this week. Instead, it was the March Follies at Jowonio. Basically, this is a show that we put on each year with the kids. Each classroom picks their own song and does some kind of little performance. The show is at the high school across the street (Nottingham, my Dad went there!!), so we get to get right up on stage. The kids and the families love it! It is always super cute! We sang and danced to a song called "Drivin' in my Car"

Photobucket
Jed was the lucky one to be walking in with me when I spotted the sign!

Photobucket
There we are on stage! You gotta love the shades :-)

Photobucket
Everybody was Kung Foo Fighting! (Jungle Room)

Photobucket
I like to Move It, Move It! (Earth Room)

It was a great night. The kids had a blast! One little boy came out with his family and it was only his fourth day with us in the Dragonfly Room! Thursday was a normal day. I spent a lot of time getting work done and getting ready for the weekend. On Friday, I left from school and hit the road on to New York City. My sorority big sister has gotten the most incredible job! She will be working for the Girl Scouts of America in Italy (and some neighboring regions) running Girl Scout Troops for American children that are displaced because their parents are in the US Military! Doesn't that sound amazing?! Taryn, my big sis, is going to be perfect for the job! I can't wait to visit her!

Photobucket
Taryn and Me waiting in the subway

Photobucket
We made it on!

On Friday, night once I got to Brooklyn, where another friend lives, Alison, we headed right into the city. It took my about two extra hours for arrival because the traffic was insane! Yes- I drove in NYC, right down Canal Street! It was crazy. We headed over to a restaurant called Parilla. It happens to be the restaurant that was opened by the first winner of Top Chef and it is Taryn's favorite place to eat. The food was pretty delicious, but the dessert was the real winner! Alison and I had delicious doughnuts with yummy filling and a coconut refresher, Taryn had a passion fruit tres leches (cake), and Anne had popcorn sherbet!! It tasted completely like popcorn and I could barely move passed it! You would have been surprised! We had a great time. They even held my suitcase at the desk while we ate!

Photobucket

Photobucket
YUM!

Photobucket
Anne's and Taryn's delights

After dinner we travelled through the city to our hotel and spent the night laughing and catching up. I can't believe how long it has been since I have seen these girls! There was quite a bit of silliness going on! Gotta love that!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Alison, James and Me all in Love :-)

On Saturday morning, we slept in for a little bit, but there was too much fun to be had! We ate lunch in the city at Connolly's and then walked around the city. We took Alison to work. She is a concierge and she is amazing! We watched her do her thing for a bit. She was working at the Hilton in Times Square, which is pretty impressive!

Photobucket
Friends in the lobby before Alison started working.

Anne, Taryn, and I continued our city adventures. The first place we stoped was a frozen yogurt shop called Pink Berry and it was delicious! There are only a couple locations and they are in NYC and San Diego (woohoo, San Diego here I come!!). I had a smoothie with original flavor yogurt with fresh (not frozen) strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries! It was heaven on Earth. Taryn had the original flavor with raspberries and fruity pebbles and Anne had pomegranate flavor with fruity pebbles! All were delish!

Photobucket
Be jealous ;-)

After the yummies we headed down to Canal Street and got some fake designer goods off the street! It was super fun, my first time talking the price down! I was completely scared, but I used my best work, "I only have $10" hehe. It worked!

Photobucket
Anne got the Coach purse and I got the wallet!!

We ate dinner at a great little place called the Film Center Cafe. It was very good and shockingly cheap, particularly for NYC! The three of us ate until we were completely full for a group total of $35! How is that for good?!? Alison found the place for us. After a long day of walking and fun we headed back to Alison's in Brooklyn for bed. It was easy to fall right to sleep!

Sunday morning we got up in the morning so that I could head back to Syracuse. After my lovely trip in, I knew that I wanted a good amount of time to get out! It was so hard to say goodbye. We had such a great time all weekend! The hardest part was that Taryn is going to be off and over the ocean. She is going to be so great though. I am so proud of her and excited for her! I know they are going to be begging her to stay when her time is up!

Photobucket
Sad faces! Don't go!!

Photobucket
Just fun.

Photobucket
America's Best Top Model pose

I hit the open road and actually made pretty good time on the was home. It is much easier to get out of NYC than it is to get in! I am proud of myself for making it through my first and last driving experience in the city! It is certainly a magical kind of place!

Photobucket
Photobucket

This trip was a really great way to help me through another goodbye. I love that I have been able to talk to James so much on this deployment! It has been a huge blessing to be able to hear his voice with so many stressful beginnings and endings going on in my life! On Thursday, I was headed into a meeting when he called. I never do tell him if I need to be somewhere because I know he would never let me stay on the phone! I talked to him until he had to go and I was extensively late for my meeting, lol! He headed back out to the deep blue sea, so I am back to the same a schedule as before. I think my teachers are probably glad that I am not jumping up frantically and running out of the room anymore (for now)! :-)

I hope that something special happens for each of you this week. As for me, I will be getting a lot of work done and gearing up for my next fun adventure! Remember a dirty face is a sign of a good day...

Photobucket
So, have a GOOD day!

Be safe Sailor and hurry home! I love you.

always,
Jamie

2 comments:

  1. those smoothie's look sooooo yummy! i am totally jealous! looks like you had a fun trip! now we just need to have a six people i like the most reunion somewhere VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Thanks for being our group photographer for the weekend. And, of course, for coming to see me! Can't wait to host you and James in Italy!!!

    ReplyDelete